Waste Canvas Kit
With this kit, you will learn how to implement waste canvas on fabric -- a skill that will allow you to embroider on any garment, scarf or pouch. Waste canvas has been used since the beginning of the twentieth century in Palestine, providing a guide to Palestinian embroiderers by gridding fabrics that aren’t countable. When the waste canvas is removed, the embroidery is revealed on the fabric.
What’s included in the kit:
- 14 count waste canvas, 26 x 33 cm / 10 x 13 in (minimum cut)
- One natural cotton drawstring bag of size 15 x 20 cm / 6 x 8 in
- 1 pack of DMC embroidery needles (sizes 1-5)
- 4 carefully selected traditional colours in size 8 pearl cotton thread balls
- Straight pins & needle storage
- The second edition of our exclusive instructional guide, expanded to 24 pages and updated to include:
- Instructions on the use of both aida cloth and waste canvas
- A detailed description of three stitches used in traditional Palestinian embroidery, with accompanying diagrams
- Additional historic embroidery patterns on a numbered grid, with their meaning and significance explained
Included with the purchase of a kit is a recorded virtual demonstration and instruction on how to work with waste canvas, led by artist and educator Wafa Ghnaim.
We strongly encourage you to have embroidery scissors and proper lighting while using this kit. Wafa swears by the use of natural light, or a natural light bulb with magnifier.
We ship worldwide, and the cost of shipping is included for most locations.